The Tour of Utah kicked off today with Stage 1 that started and finished in Nelphi City Park. This opening stage was 102 miles in length and contained 4,800 feet of climbing. There were four intermediate sprints at miles 40, 72, and 87. With only one climb counting towards the King of the Mountains competition, riders will have had to work hard to collect maximum points as I expected these early KOM points to be hotly contested.
The early report is that Jason Donald of Garmin-Chipotle is the winner of Stage 1 of the Tour of Utah. He apparently found his way into an early breakaway group and managed to take the stage victory by distancing himself with 400 meters to go. Along with the early GC lead, Jason has also taken the lead in the King of the Mountains race.
The final results of Stage 1 are out. Here’s the top ten:
1. Jason Donald (Garmin-Chipotle) 4:07:09.04
2. Sheldon Denny (The Fan Sports Network) + 0:00:00.7
3. Bradley White (Team SuccessfulLiving.com) + 0:00:01.8
4. Ricardo Escuela (Team SuccessfulLiving.com) +0:00:19.7
5. Jonnie Clarke (Toyota-United) +0:00:20.0
6. Frank Pipp (Team Health Net) +0:00:20.1
7. Ryan Anderson (Land Rover-Orbea) +0:00:20.1
8. Alessandro Bazzana (Team SuccessfulLiving.com) +0:00:20.2
9. Bryson Perry (American R.A.D.D.) +0:00:20.2
10. Michael Grabinger (Team SuccessfulLiving.com) +0:00:20.3
14. Fred Rodriguez (Rock Racing) +00:00:20.4
25. Oscar Sevilla (Rock Racing) +00:00:21.4
61. Tyler Hamilton (Rock Racing) +00:00:22.0
112. Danny Pate (Garmin-Chipotle) +00:00:22.9
Two riders did not finish. They are:
Logan Hunn (Land Rover-Orbea)
Kevin Rowe (Team Bobs-Bicycles.com)
The full Stage 1 results can be found over on the Tour of Utah site.
Those are some seriously small time gaps in the top ten. I hope there’s some video that surfaces that shows the final sprint. Looking at the overall time gaps, it looks like most of the field finished together no more than 25 seconds behind the stage winner.
How about the showing of the SuccessfulLiving.com riders in the top ten. That’s a great showing for them and has got to leave them feeling confident after this opening stage.
As soon as pics and video are available, I’ll get it posted.