Day 26 – I was traveling out of town so this day is an off day.
Day 27 – A 3 hour endurance pace ride was scheduled for Day 27 but it had to be canceled due to severe thunderstorms. I had no desire to get caught in heavy rains, hail or lightening.
Day 28 – This was supposed to be a 1.5 hour endurance pace ride but I ended up only doing 1 hour. I could have easily done the 1.5 hours but decided to take it easy and only do the 1 hour (more on why below). Here are the numbers:
- Total Time (h:m): 1:00
- Total Distance: 15.1 miles
- Avg Speed: 15.1 mph
Week 4 Re-cap
I have to be honest and say that I was very disappointed in my performance this past week. I struggled on the bike all week and it really showed in my measurements and mileage. Why did I struggle?
- I was lethargic. I felt really, really tired all week and even thought I might have been getting sick in the first part of the week. My legs were very heavy on every ride and even though my time/distance/avg speed numbers were there I didn’t feel like I was performing well.
- I was uncomfortable in the saddle. I got to the point on my Thursday ride last week that I had to quit after only about 30 minutes in the saddle. I was just too uncomfortable in my nether regions and couldn’t ride more than a few minutes without having to stand on the pedals to take pressure off. I have been riding enough over the last year that I shouldn’t be having problems like that so I was very frustrated. Like an idiot I had stopped using chamois cream a couple of months ago because I didn’t think I needed it for these short rides. Turns out I was wrong and after having that driven home by @331miles and @gtinla I picked up some Paceline Chamois BUTTr this weekend and it made a world of difference on my Sunday evening one-hour ride.
- Repeating Weeks 1 and 2 may have been a mistake. If you remember I started the 10-week Century Training Plan two weeks early and did Weeks 1 and 2 twice. This may have been an error because if I had followed the normal 10-week plan I would have had two rest days last week. Because I re-started the plan after two-weeks I missed out on that extra rest day and that could have contributed to me feeling really drained last week.
- My diet sucks. I’m trying hard on my diet but it’s not good enough right now. I’m still finding myself opting for a quick take-out meal several times a week because it seems like too much of a pain to fix food after my evening ride. Sometimes I may not get back home until 8:30 PM from my ride and by the time I take a shower and cook dinner it’s already 9:30 or 10. I need a way to make this process simpler and I’m thinking I need to prepare meals ahead of time or at least buy foods that are easy to fix (I’m not talking about prepared foods). One thing I started doing, instead of cooking chicken on the stove, was to buy a roasted chicken and de-bone it. That gives me plenty of pre-cooked chicken that I can eat throughout the week. The problem with that is that I’m eating too much chicken right now. I absolutely love chicken but I need to get some variation such as meats and fish. I’m open to any ideas/suggestions in this area.
Here are the mileage numbers for this week:
- Total Duration (h:m): 3:30
- Total Miles: 54
- Avg Speed: 15.4 mph
My measurements for this week saw little to no change. My neck and chest saw no change with my biceps decreasing by a quarter inch each and my thighs and calves increasing in size. My weight was also up four pounds from the last time I weighed myself. Overall I’m disappointed in my measurements but I’m not surprised after how I felt last week and with the decreased mileage. I can’t let it get me down though and need to continue pushing.
If you haven’t noticed I added new page to the blog called Century Training Tracker. This is where you can see some graphical representation of my mileage and measurements.
If you can’t tell I’m facing some challenges in my training right now. Namely my diet and a battle against fatigue. I can impact them both though and it just takes a little will power to do so. I used the word ‘training’ just a couple of sentences ago and I probably need to use it more often because that is what I’m doing right now. I’m training for a century ride and that means I need to stick the plan to be able to realize my end goal.
Thanks to all my readers for the great support.